Welcome Baby is a voluntary, universal home visitation program available to all pregnant women who deliver at California Hospital Medical Center (CHMC) and live within a 5 mile radius.Welcome Baby is part of Best Start LA - a multi-year investment created by First 5 LA that aims to shape, strengthen and support Los Angeles County neighborhoods by building resources and providing access to activities that improve the wellbeing, development and care experienced by pregnant women, new parents and children age three and under. Maternal and Child Health Access partners with CHMC-affiliated health care providers to enroll women in Welcome Baby prenatally or in-hospital, regardless of their risk factors or socio-economic status.
Through one-on-one visits from nurses and parent coaches Welcome Baby aims to enhance the health and wellbeing of mothers and their families. The program provides new parents with information and resources, prenatally through the child's first nine months of age, that will support them to help their child reach developmental milestones.
Welcome Baby goals include:
- Promoting overall health and wellness during pregnancy and the first year of life
- Enhancing the capacity of parents to nurture and care for their very young children through greater understanding of their physical and emotional development
- Increasing breastfeeding rates
- Ensuring that children have health coverage and receive consistent healthcare
- Assisting new parents in achieving a safe and nurturing home environment
- Enhancing existing community network of services and fostering community relationships.
We are pleased to introduce the Welcome Baby E-newsletter:
For general information regarding the program, please contact:
Luz Chacon, Program Director (213) 749-4261 ext. 303 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To refer women to the program or to learn more about how you can get involved, please call (213) 342-3127